Monday, August 26, 2013

Embers & Echoes by Karsten Knight Review


"Fan the flames: A teen goddess fires up her search for love and family in this sequel to Wildefire.

Ashline Wilde may have needed school to learn that she is actually a reincarnated goddess, but she’s ready to move beyond books. She leaves her California boarding school behind and makes for Miami, where she meets a new group of deities and desperately seeks her sister Rose, the goddess of war. But she’s also looking for love—because even though her romance with Cole had to be snuffed, Ash is a volcano goddess—and she doesn’t get burned."

I'm surprise to find myself supporting Team Cole after all he has done to everyone including Wes, Ashline, Eve, and well, everyone. I totally hate the fact that I still like Cole after all those things he'd done. Grrr... Why do I like him so much? On second thought, I don't want to know why. Cole creeps me out; no matter how dashing or irresistible he is.

Told from Ashline's POV, Embers & Echoes is the warmup act of the entire series. I'm not even kidding; the author is acting as if this is only the beginning, not the worse. I thought Wildefire is the warmup up act, but no! Compared to Embers & Echoes, Wildefire is like a little book walking baby steps while using training wheels or a training cane. Whatever. I think you get my point. The battle hasn't even begun and there's already people or goddesses or gods dying. (I think at least seven people died in this book. Roughly that number. It's a little more than Wildefire, but these people are like closer to home. Home meaning Ashline.)

The plot of this book is just...Wow! I really enjoyed everything Embers & Echoes has to offer. Characters die. Characters go cry like a wailing baby. Characters disappear. With this type of conflict, the plot is guarantee to always keep moving and never stop until the final battle is here. (Final battle may happen in the next book. Hopefully, but not likely.) The writing of Embers & Echoes is entertaining and addicting; I can't help and hold on tight to the covers of the book as I read through the words.

The ending, the ending, the ending... The ending is amazing; I love how desperate and hopeless the ending seems to be. It makes an interesting beginning for the next book.

Characters:

Ashline is a little slow in this book. I thought there will be more of kicking butts rather than waiting and flirting with some guy. (Yeah, I'm still loyal to Cole. Damn it!) Ashline has gotten over of killing people until like later in the book. I'm surprise that Ashline is over with Cole in a heartbeat; I thought it will be a tiny bit longer because...well, I thought Cole means a lot to Ashline. Apparently not.

Cole...Damn You! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, Cole. Why? Why? Why? I really hate how blind you are sometimes, Cole. Well, Cole is the ultimate bad boy in this series.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment