Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wings By E.D. Baker Review


"Theres always been something a little unusual about Tamisin. Her freckles look more like sparkles, and the full moon makes her want to dance. 

But nothing could have prepared her for the day when real, working fairy wings sprout from her back. At school theres a new guy named Jak, who seems to know something she doesn't. As her world get stranger by the minute, Tamisin finds out more about herself and the fairy world."
This book was recommended to me by a friend. By the looks of the cover, I wasn't really enthusiastic about reading Wings. By the description of the book, I wasn't very excited about it. The cover didn't really match the synopsis. Not a very good start.

The first chapter wasn't really impressive. I thought that it was slightly slow. The only thing that was interesting was the bumped into scene. However, the interesting line quickly falls back to slow and dry and simply boring. I was about to give up on the book.

I'm surprised by the reactions of secondary characters. They don't really seemed to be fazed by all that usually traits of Tamisin. I thought that there will be more of a reaction. I felt that E.D. Baker was too soft in some parts of the book. For example: when Tamisin revealed the wings to her parents, her parents just said (implied) that was normal for her and calmly told her that she was adopted. For humans, Tamisin would be locked up and in a lab where scientists take her every movement into record and poke her with needles and sticks. And cut off her wings.

Jak... I love his POV. I love how he sees the human world. It's so interesting. I love his ability to cope with his situations. He's so intelligent and according to the female characters, hot. I love the fact that his is highly underestimated. Jak is a true born leader, capable of leading troops into battle even though his family doubt that. 

The goblins make me laugh so much. They tease each other, even though they aren't that smart. Goblins have so much humor. And are quite selfish, but funny. Lots of humorous scenes with goblins in this book. Goblins are so cute and childish in a good way. Readers will laugh and chuckle merrily at these strange little creatures called goblins. They have a huge sense of 'we are the best, we are the smartest, blah, blah, blah.' Any parts of the book that mentions those senses are funny.

E. D. Baker has done a wonderful job describing the goblins. I can see them clearly as if I have the ability to see them myself. The writing really flows in the middle of the book. It was written very well in the end although some parts may be questioning.

I love those switching POVs. It's so useful in a book like this. Jak's POV totally helped me understand the fairy/goblin world much better.

Issue#1: Tamisin. How can she forget her parents that fast? For a girl who loves her parents very much, I would expect her to mention them at least once every chapter. Not never mention them at all. Need a little more logic here!

Issue#2: Tatiana. According to Shakespeare's poem, Tatiana is much more bitchy. Here she's so sweet and everything. All honey and sugar. I expected Tatiana to be more proud and 'I'm higher than all of you. I'm your queen, so shut up and pay attention to only me.' Instead she is portrayed as a queen with a good heart and little bitchy attitude. Definitely not her. 

Issue#3: Slow beginning.

This book's rating is a four out of five. Highly recommended to the Young Adult audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment