Sunday, May 3, 2015

My Life From Hell by Tellulah Darling Review


"To say that Sophie Bloom is at the top of her game with one only week until spring equinox and the final showdown with Zeus and Hades would be, well, lying. The Goddess of Spring feels more like the Goddess of Bzz Thanks For Playing than the savior of humanity. And could her relationships be any more messed up?

Good times.

Sophie is convinced that things can’t get any worse than crawling back to her mother Demeter and begging for help. But she’s about to find out how very wrong she is.

It’s a race against time for Sophie to implement the big battle strategy in the YA romantic comedy, Greek mythology finale My Life From Hell. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book three of this teen fantasy romance series. Save herself; save the world. Humanity may be screwed."

NetGalley. Thanks for the copy. (This is the third and final review/post for The Blooming Goddess Trilogy. There is a part 1 and 2.)

My Life From Hell is the third book of The Blooming Goddess Trilogy. YA Greek Mythology and Paranormal, the book is the unfulfilling conclusion to the trilogy. I'm very disappointed with the book, because it doesn't meet my expectations. So let's dig in a bit and see my reasoning. And I'll give you the answer to whether or not you should read this trilogy. 

Sophie is stronger than ever. A full goddess with awesome powers and Kai behind her back, she is struggling with the newfound revelation that her goddess mother, Demeter, who has been nothing but ridiculously unhelpful (so much that Zeus looks like a much better parent), has been right in front of her all along. Sophie's character development has been pushed back, and the drama of her relationships take the limelight. Actually, mostly one relationship. 

Guess who? Kai! Their chemistry isn't as strong (but I'm not surprised, because they are trying not to die and save the world at the same time). They still have that beautiful dynamic that makes me smile (and ship them so hard). Kai is wonderful here, and the past!Kai proves that Kai has much more depth than most people would have thought. So I give props to Darling for pulling off the many layers of Kai. It is nicely placed together, and I can understand him better now. 

But the plot is where the book loses me. I understand the beginning of the book, which starts off very nicely and wonderfully and eases me into the Greek world. But when Hecate shows up and the past and present somewhat merges (or Sophie sees her past), everything starts to confuse me and I try to reread what happens, but I'm still confused. Eventually, I move on and enjoy the show (especially the part of past!Kai), but I can't shake off the feeling that something is terribly wrong with the middle (rising action) part of the book.

Overall, My Life From Hell is not exactly the strong conclusion I was expecting. There are some great characters and as usual, awesome pieces of dialogue. The plot confuses me, twisting and turning and doing something with magic and time (which always confuses me). I would recommend this book to those who want to know the ending to The Blooming Goddess Trilogy. 

Rating: Three out of Five

The trilogy, as a whole, is amazing. It starts off strongly, and it doesn't end quite well. However, The Blooming Goddess Trilogy has some great and memorable moments that makes it worth it. Kai, himself, makes the trilogy so much more interesting.

Trilogy's Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment