Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford Review


"Christopher just needed a job to kill time the summer after high school graduation. He didn?t expect it to be in the morgue. Or that he would accidentally discover a murder cover-up. Or that his discovery would lead him to a full-blown investigation involving bribery, kidnappings, more murders . . . and his best friend. And he certainly could never have predicted that Tina?loud, insanely hot, ambitious newspaper reporter Tina?would be his partner. But all of that did happen. And Christopher?s life will never be the same. With plenty of plot twists, red herrings, and dry wit, The Morgue and Me is a page-turning modern take on the classic detective genre."

Okay, I'll admit that I was a bit bored. In the beginning, there is a really strong hook, but then it goes downwards really fast. The Morgue and Me is a mystery novel about a dead man who seems to be murdered, not the supposed "suicide." Chris would normally go to the police, but he has one problem. It appears the sheriff was the one who paid off the examiner of the dead body. So Chris turns to someone else. A reporter.

Doesn't it sound like a wonderful story? Well, I'll tell you the truth. It is not a wonderful story. I was bored with the book as soon as I met Lovell. Or maybe it was even earlier. I mean, as early as the first time Chris met Tina.

So what is the problem?

1) (Oh, yes, I'm doing list again. I'm bored at the chaos I made). Chris is boring. Seriously, dude. He went to trespass a place just to look at stars. Me? I would go to an empty park late at night. Maybe hang out with a few... Just kidding. I wouldn't hang out with anyone, but I might take a late night jog at the park (if I'm not lazy enough). And his internal dialogue is annoying, too. Someone about him is just...boring. He is Mr. Boring.

2) There is something off about Tina. How old is she? (Yep, that is my first question I always ask). How old is the love interest? How old? She is definitely not a teenager. Teenage boy and older woman is a no-no in most people's minds. I just wanted to point that out.

3) The writing. 'Nuff said.

4) The true killer is one heck of a subject. We don't know who it is until the very end. And I didn't even bother trying to figure out who it is. (That is how bored I am. I show no interest in hunting down the true murderers). Besides, all the protecting and mystery surrounding the true identity of the murderer was just...ugh.

How I read this book: I really read the beginning of the book. Then I skim through the last half of the book, because it was too boring and too old. Despite my skimming, I was unfortunate enough to be able to read and follow the plot.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment