Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzman Review


"The biggest story of my life could be how it ends

It’s my turn to run a Campus News crew, and I’ve put together a team that can break stories wide open. And Washington Irving High has a truly great one to cover, if only we can find a lead.

A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cryptic notes. A circle of silence keeps the society a mystery. No one knows its members, agenda or initiation secrets—until a student lands in the hospital under strange circumstances.

will blow this story wide open and stop others from being hurt... …or worse. And while my ex, Jagger, might want to help, I don’t trust him yet. (And, no, not because of our past together. That is not important to this story.)

But whether you find me, Valerie Gaines, reporting in front of the camera, or a victim in the top story of the newscast…be sure to watch Campus News at 9:00 a.m. this Friday."

Circle of Silence (Why do I think it's Circle of Secrets?) is a mystery book. If you don't know what a mystery book is, please go back to junior high, or whatever school that teaches what-is-a-mystery-book. Okay, I'm getting off tracks. I'll admit it. 

Circle of Silence is a short book, around a good two hundred pages. It's not that bad for a paperback book, or at least in my mind. (And I'm sure there's some hardcovers hanging around, but I haven't seen them yet). Anyway, Circle of Silence is an okay book. Neutral. Maybe a bit above neutral? Let me take a look at the goods and bads before I give my last conclusion.

The way the book is layered out gives Circle of Silence a sense of organization and cleanness, despite the things within the pages. For example, there's a part with the bad guy narrating whatever the MP was doing. For example, he or she writes a log about the activities and pranks of the MP. It's quite interesting to see the POV of a bad guy or girl.

The plot is crazy. Most of the time, Valerie Gaines is trying to figure out the MP members. Valerie and her team spend a lot of time chasing the MP, going from one story to another like crazy paparazzi. It's get quite annoying before become deadly and dangerous when MP started to hunt, nearly killing one of its members. Circle of Silence is quite a ride to read.

The romance/chemistry between Valerie and her ex-boyfriend isn't there. I mean, it's there in words, but there's no emotion behind it. Well, there is. Only a tiny bit, but not enough for it to send your stomach into tingles. Remember that kind of romance? The one Warner and Julitte has. The one Four and Tris had. That tiny feeling that feels so good, creeping up your toes and reaching into your heart. It's a beautiful feeling, but it isn't here. You can't find it here.

Valerie herself isn't a bad character. I think she's in the wrong situation, but she learns from her experience (what we read) well. I like what she said at the end about the different kinds of masks we wear and the roles we play. It blended really well with the book, which is actually pretty nice, because some books are so random that you have no idea what it's referring to unless you read ten times. 

The writing of Carol Tanzman is okay. I don't see anything wrong with it. Oh, there's also a book before Circle of Silence. You don't have to read the first book, which is what I did. (I didn't read it, because my library doesn't carry that book). You'll still be able to understand Circle of Silence without reading the first book, which is great.

Rating: It's definitely better than neutral. Three point five out of five, rounded to four out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment