Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Rose Society by Marie Lu Review

"Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all.

Adelina Amouteru’s heart has suffered at the hands of both family and friends, turning her down the bitter path of revenge. Now known and feared as the White Wolf, she and her sister flee Kenettra to find other Young Elites in the hopes of building her own army of allies. Her goal: to strike down the Inquisition Axis, the white-cloaked soldiers who nearly killed her.

But Adelina is no heroine. Her powers, fed only by fear and hate, have started to grow beyond her control. She does not trust her newfound Elite friends. Teren Santoro, leader of the Inquisition, wants her dead. And her former friends, Raffaele and the Dagger Society, want to stop her thirst for vengeance. Adelina struggles to cling to the good within her. But how can someone be good, when her very existence depends on darkness?"


The Rose Society is the sequel to The Young Elites. And I finally got my hands on this book! So, that is a huge plus for one! And two, we get to follow the evil path of Adelina Amouteru. Oh, boy. She is so deliciously dark and evil (well, driven to evil, if we want to be polite), and everything that she has done is to take control of the kingdom that hates her very much. Oh, and she really wants revenge on Teren Santoro. 

This is definitely the darkest book from Marie Lu. Adelina goes down the dark side, and there are few lines she doesn't cross. And those lines aren't exactly many, as I have said before. She does do a lot of murdering, and she, from what I know of Darth Vader, goes down a similar path like Darth's. (All I remember is that he goes pretty evil and says something like "Luke, I am your father.") 

The plot spins itself, and I have to say that the story does go very mad at certain spots. What is real? What is not? Will Enzo ever be revived? (And yes, I do want Enzo to be revived, and Enzo x Adelina is my OTP forever.) What is happening with the Young Elites? What is going on with Adelina's powers? 

It's all very speculative, and I love how the story just unravels itself to its very dark ending. Adelina prevents everyone who wants to save her from saving her, and she just goes off into the dark end. By the end of the story, she remains the winner. But she doesn't get everything in the way she wanted, and she doesn't get a HEA (or a villain's HEA, that is). The ending makes me sort-of reluctant to read the third book, however, because I'm not sure where Marie Lu is going to take the story next. Also, I kind of like Adelina's ending in this story, despite how tragic and horrifying it is. 

Still, we'll see where it goes. 

Overall, The Rose Society is the sequel that gets mixed feelings from this reviewer here. Part of me thinks that Adelina's dark arc is great while I feel peeved that Enzo is not really back (but I'm not taking that into account of the final rating). The other part of me really doesn't like how the ending is handled, yet I also like it. So...

For mixed feelings...

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment